Dear Madeline,
It is apparent at this point, that you forgot to pack your calendar because today, my dear, is our due date. You know, your "projected" BIRTH day. The day on which Dr.'s, medical science, and Mommy and Daddy expected you to be here by, and yet you are still not here. I can understand you wanting to stay where you are. It's warm, you have a constant source of food, I rock you to sleep all day, our voices sound like sweet lullabies...but Mommy & Daddy would really like to meet you face to face. We promise to keep you warm out here, feed and bathe you, I'll even sing to you if you want (although I can't promise you'll like what you hear). Plus, even though you may have to wait a little while to try it, Daddy is a really good cook. He's been practicing for almost 10 months now because Mommy's been on strike and he's gotten quite good. He also is quite the planner, and if you don't come soon, there won't be any room for you to ride home in the car because Daddy keeps thinking of things that we need to take to the hospital.
The thing is Maddie, Mommy is on the verge of having a breakdown and it isn't going to be pretty. I'm pretty certain that Daddy's looking for the men in little white coats as we speak, just in case he needs to call them to come get me. I love you dearly, but I've been carrying you around every day now for 40 weeks. That's a long time. My body is starting to grow weary, and you don't really help things when you decide to get feisty at 2:00 a.m. and roll around in Mommy's tummy. Mommy needs some sleep. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of crying and staying up late at night once you get here. Normally, Mommy would just drink a nice glass of red wine, take a bath and then sleep like a baby, but having you inside of me kind of prohibits that too. Then there is all of these hormones that are building up inside of Mommy. Normally I'm a sane, rational person but not these days Maddie. Your little body is sucking all of the rationality right out of me. I have a temper that's instantaneous - really it's more like pure rage. And you know your Mom's not a cryer. But somehow the fact that you now have total control over my body and seem to have no plans to relinquish it anytime soon, makes Mommy cry for little to no reason.
You know other than being tired and weary, there's also the fact that I agreed to stop doing all of the things that Mommy enjoys doing - i.e. drinking wine, caffeine, and other fun stuff - for 40 weeks. Long enough to get you here. And it's not that I regret or resent that commitment - but sweetie my part of the contract is officially over today. Your now running on borrowed time and Mommy's not happy about it. In fact, I've had a lot of time to think about it. You know, when I'm lying awake at night in bed trying to figure out how water can give you a severe case of heartburn or why my hips feel like someone is prying them apart from the inside out, and I'm seriously contemplating grounding you immediately - once you get here that is. No sense in delaying discipline. And you know it's not just me, Daddy's not exactly happy either. He likes for everyone in our household to be on time. It's the courteous thing to do and well honey, you're not exactly abiding by his rules. It's not that Mommy and Daddy don't want to make sacrifices for you. We are totally prepared to do so and - with loving and willing hearts I might add. But here, on the outside, in the big world, where Daddy can hold you for a little while.
So my point is my darling is this, there comes a point in every parents life that you have to exhibit tough love. And today my dear, is my day to start. As much as I love you, and as much as the newborn stage is all about tender, sweet moments in time - you clearly need a push to get things started. So, as much as I didn't want to have to do this, please know it's with much love that it's being said - here it is:
You are officially being served an eviction notice.....
GET OUT.
When you ask?
NOW -
as in right now young lady.
Pack your bags,
Say your goodbyes to all that's been familiar,
and start marching your sweet little hiney towards the light.
Why?
Because your mother said so - that's why.
Love,
Your tired, weary and hormonal Mommy
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Chrissy! Your dad sent me this post. While I feel for you, it is very cute! Hang in there, its so special in the end.
ReplyDelete