It's back to blogging for me in 2011. I hate that I've let so much time and moments and little tidbits pass by without writing them down. Maddie you are changing almost minute to minute and I don't want to forget any one thing about this journey. So I'm back in the saddle. Hopefully I won't fall down on the job again.
Let me first start by stating that I didn't intend for this to happen. Really I didn't. I really hate being dishonest. I just really don't like Barbie. At 22 months you love all things doll related and I have been petrified for some time now that dolls would translate into Barbie sooner rather than later. So I've done pretty much everything possible to keep her out of your world Maddie. Vigilant about it. Why? I don't like that she is small and comes with a billion tiny pieces. Her clothes and shoes are awkward and I know with those tiny fingers of yours that you are going to have issues getting them on and off of her which means an increase in temper tantrums. Plus, all of those accessories make me have cold sweats and nightmares. You on the other hand triple puffy heart some accessories. There are also more serious concerns like her unrealistic body shape - there is a reason she's plastic. And her choice in outfits, seriously no one wears heels everyday of their life (no one I know anyway).
So the first time you said her name it sent chills down my spine and wrapped me in fear. I had to ask you several times to repeat what you were saying to confirm it and though I wanted to deny it, run away from it, it was true. You were asking for B-A-R-B-I-E. But how could this be?? I have been so vigilent, so careful. And then it hit me. Toy Story 3. She has a key role. Stupid dream house. Stupid Ken and your closet of never ending outfits!!
It's not his fault you know. Daddy knows that I don't like Barbie. He knows how hard I've worked to keep her at bay. I think he felt obligated to support me, to find a way to help me with my cause. It was really out of love Maddie that he said it.
As soon as we realized what you were saying, Daddy looked at me and said "Did you know that Barbie hit Buzz Light Year?" It was wrong on so many levels but it was also sheer brilliance on his part. Buzz Light Year is your current BFF. As is Jessie and Woody and Bullseye. We have all 3 movies and you make us watch them more than I even care to admit. You have the book and the figurines and you carry them all around the house. You talk about them when they are not with us. You even sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and ask for them. If you could write I'm quite certain that you would inscribe BFF.4.EVA on each of their tiny bodies.
When Daddy mentioned that Barbie hit Buzz it was an impactful statement. One you did not take lightly. One you have not forgotten. It was a defining moment in your relationship with her. You see it seems that although you may look just like your Daddy and you may have inherited his stubbornness and love of cheese, you also received my ability to hold a grudge. And that's just what you have done every single day since. At least once or twice a day you remind us of Barbie's evil doings and how upset you are with her. It's clear at this point that you are officially not a fan of Barbie. And while this makes me happy on so many levels, I also feel a twinge of guilt because I know that this farce will only last for so long. At some point you will realize that it just isn't true. It didn't really happen Maddie. Barbie is innocent. Framed by your own corrupt parents. I just hope that you will be able to forgive us.
.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment