Tuesday, October 28, 2008

19 Weeks 5 days - Mango in the Making

Baby M is now the size of a Mango - he or she now weighs about 8½ ounces and measures 6 inches. This week Baby M starts bulking up and packing on the grossly named "brown fat" he'll need to keep warm when he gets evicted from his comfortable home with Mommy. I guess that explains why Mom is still craving Gummi Bears!

So in Mom's world the best news yet is that Baby M and I survived market. Although our little one protested Mommy's late nights on several occasions during market. One night while at a very late dinner with clients, while waiting on our main course to arrive, Baby M kicked Mommy pretty hard. I'm not sure if it was due to hunger or because we were both tired - but this little one made it's presence well known. I made sure to eat well that night and went home early the next day to catch up on my sleep with a long nap. I'm listening little one - no need to kick to Mommy to get your way.

Fast forward a week and those little kicks have become standard procedure as of the past day and a half. Morning, night and all during the day at work, Baby M is active all the time. I have to say that it feels a little weird - but it is also the best feeling in the world. I actually felt a kick from the outside, last night. I had my hand on my stomach purposely trying to see if we could feel it from the outside yet and Baby M kicked my hand. So now Mike and I are trying to catch Baby M in the act so that Mike can feel the little one in action. So far, Baby M is too quick for us, but that doesn't keep us from trying. Let's all hope that Mom and Dad get one up on Baby M and Dad gets to feel Baby M - otherwise we're going to start worrying that this baby is already a step ahead of us. We'll keep you posted.

One of the ladies I work with at the showroom during market gave us an early baby gift. It's a big red plate that reads "You are special today" around the rim. It was a family tradition with her kids. Birthdays, holidays, any day that was of special significance to her children - she served them on this special plate - just because. She told me that even when they got older and turned into evil teenagers - they looked forward to using their special plate - just because it was tradition. They even served her breakfast on the very same plate on Mother's day. What an awesome gift. We love it and can't wait to use it. And, uhm, speaking of family traditions - no one has left any comments on that post below. Get busy people - we want some outside ideas and things to put in Baby M's baby book. Need some inspiration? Re-read this paragraph.

So if you haven't noticed - that little ticker to the right and at the top of the page is down to single digits. 3 days left until we get another sneak peak at Baby M. 3 days until we find out if we are having a son or a daughter. 3 days until we officially hit the half way mark to meeting our little one.

It seems like the question on everyone's mind is if we have "know" what we are having. I'm sorry to disappoint - but I still don't have any "feelings" one way or another about whether Baby M is a girl or a boy - but on the other hand I am overwhelmed with "feelings" in general. It's amazing how this little one has already consumed my daily thoughts. Countless times a day I pray that Baby M is healthy and growing strong, and that I'm doing everything I need to do to give this little one a good start to life. Already there is a difference in the way I look at Mike. He's already becoming a Dad. He checks on me and Baby M daily, stocks up on our favorite kind of gummi bears, he kisses Baby M each morning before leaving for work, And he reads up on what's going on with Baby M daily. And I love him all the more for all of it. So while I don't just instinctively "know" if Baby M is a girl or a boy, what I do know is that we already love this baby so much that's it has consumed us. And those little kicks that arrived within the last 36 hours - I think they just might be tiny little gifts of reassurance from Baby M to let us know that things are going well inside. And that is all that matters to us. Boy or girl - either way we are already so excited and in love that Friday is just an added bonus.

3 more days Baby M and we meet again. Mommy and Daddy can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. So, you're scaring me with all these fruit comparisons...you're not thinking of naming this child "Apple" or "Mango" are you?!?

    ReplyDelete