With just 38 days left to go, Baby Madeline about the size of a honeydew and is basically just getting the finishing touches at this point. Her kidneys are now fully developed, and her liver has started processing waste as well. Most of her development now consists of just simply packing on the pounds. The average baby at this point is approximately 5.5 lbs, and will gain about .5 lb. per week. Which means that there is less room for full blown gymnastics routines, but that hasn't slowed our baby down. Madeline still manages to kick, punch and stretch her appendages just as far as the skin on my belly will allow her. Over the next 4 weeks, she will most likely "drop" in preparation for her big day - her "birth" day!Here's a look at Mommy's belly at 35 weeks:

At our 34 week appointment last week, we got a clean bill of health. Little Maddie is measuring right on target, and is still head down - yeah! My iron levels were much, much better - so much that the Dr. said that I could stop taking the supplements - so that was awesome news. No more anemia for Mommy! We now start seeing our Dr. every week, instead of every two weeks. I am starting to get tired and out of breathe pretty easily. Sometimes I get winded for no reason, other than I have a growing baby putting pressure on my lungs and internal organs. I am definitely more uncomfortable, my back hurts at the end of the day and it's a little difficult to get comfortable at night. However, I haven't had any swelling - so that makes me happy.
Everyone keeps asking if I think that Madeline will come early or late and I really don't know. I'm still having Braxton Hicks contractions - but that really doesn't mean much. My parents are betting that she makes her appearance on or around March 11th, because there is a full moon that day. Even more special about that day, is that it was my Grandmother, Madeline's birthday. That would certainly make the day even more special - if little Madeline was born on her namesake's birthday. But we'll take her whenever she decides to make her appearance!
On the home front, we are putting the last few details on the nursery. Mike is coming home on Wednesday and I hope to have things completed and finished by Friday. We still have a few last minute baby items to pick-up. On Saturday, we're having some family portraits taken while Mommy is sporting this ever-growing belly. After all, it will be our last photos of just the three of us. From here on out we'll be a family of four. I just hope that Miss Annie will cooperate. She's not a fan of having her portrait taken. I have a feeling that we might have to bribe her with some peanut butter. We'll let you know how that goes.
I've been busy washing all of the things that little Madeline is going to need when she gets here. Blankets, towels, wash clothes, the tiniest little socks you've ever seen and a few outfits. My best friend Mandy came over about a week ago and helped me organize Madeline's closet and dresser drawers - that was a huge help and relief. We even started packing the diaper bag so that it will be ready to take to the hospital. It's amazing, no matter how many times you've ever seen a newborn diaper, you forget how small they actually are.
On the to do list - we still have to get the car seat installed in our car. The hospital won't let you leave unless you have the car seat properly installed. Hopefully we will get that done while Mike is home. We also need to pack a bag for Mommy and Daddy to take to the hospital. So far, I've been putting this off. I can hardly convince myself that it's time. She's really coming....soon. Packing that hospital bag just makes it that much more real. So, it may be a week or so before I can bring myself to get it done. We'll see!
Other than that - we're just getting really excited about meeting Madeline for the first time. No more guessing who she's going to look like, or whose personality she'll take more after. We'll be able to hold her, count each of her fingers and toes, and see for ourselves that little face we've been dreaming about for so long. Mike's really going to be a Dad and I'm really going to be a Mom. Everything that has happened to us in our lives so far, has all been leading up to this moment in our lives. There is a tiny, precious, little human being, a blessing from God, and a part of both of us - that's going to join our lives. It's more than one person could wish for or dream for, or even deserve. It's a miracle. And it's happening to us.

No comments:
Post a Comment